When our ancestors came here in 1845, they planted into this country, a seed of rich culture and traditions. Many people will sit and marvel at some of the achievements and advancements made by the off-springs of our ancestors, but few of us will ever sit and ask ‘how’. Villages throughout this country have established mandirs and organizations and Sister’s Road is no exception. It all began way back in the year 1946 – when a cultural organization was formed in Hardbargain .This organization comprised of members of St. Julien,Dyers Village and Hardbargain with a group of approximately 50 hard core members, 14 of which were actively involved in Ramayan Satsangh every Saturday night.
This group was referred to as Ramayan goal, with the person in charge being called the captain. Who was the late Mr. Moon Bissamber. Other members were in the likes of late RamkissonAkaloo, whose home was used as a semi base for the group. Ramnarine Akaloo, Rooplal Ramgalie, Ropchand Ramgobin, Rampersad Mahindra, Lalan Rajaram, Seepersad Mahindar, Rampersad Mahindar, Polo Seepersad, Sonnilal Seepersad and Teelokie Dass.
In addition to the Ramayan and satsanghs every Saturday night, this group also participated actively in chowtal singing throughout the country. It should be noted that those days the only instrument used was the jhaals. In the year 1948 they saw a great need for a main base for this organization. A parcel of land was donated by the late Roopnarine Singh, to erect what they would call the kutie. With money being a great burden to get, it took 2 full weeks of hard labour and determination by the men to cut enough wood to erect the kutie | kutiya.
Up until this point no mention of women was made, but they were by no means less active. They demonstrated their strength and determination for equal rights by being the ones who constructed the walls of the kutie.
The men just covered the shed but the ladies would go to the river by the bridge and collect soft dirt and gobar, mix them together and paste the walls and the floor. The women also formed themselves into a group and carried out monthly full moon katha pooja. The leader of this group was Mrs Sadwine.Other members of this group were: Mrs Ivy Mahindar, Dora Ramrattan , Ruby Gooljar ,Mrs Deokumar, Mrs Ramrajie Ramdhan , Mrs Ramroop, Mrs Ramai , Mrs Basmath and Mrs Raghunath. The demand for co-operation brought about unification of the people due to great financial strains.
In the late 1940’s Pondt Harripersad, from Esmeralda saw the need to impart some knowledge to the people and set up some hindi classes in Dyers Village, Sisters Road, Poonah and Esmeralda. Students were charged 2 cents per week to help cover the cost of kerosene that would be used in the lamps for the classes. These classes bought further unification of the people and villages. It was the year 1948 that the first ever Bhagwat Yagna was held in this country and it was held in Sister’s Road. The seating accommodations would prove to be insufficient so Pdt. Harripersad dismantled a structure from Esmeralda where he had his classes and joined it to the one in Hardbargain. This became the venue for 7 days and 7 nights of Bhagwat Yagna 3 times a day to over 1000 people nightly. It should be noted that the night sessions began at 7pm and ended at 12 midnight. The vyaas the late Janki Persad Sharma. It should be noted that the men folk wishing to enter the kitchen were not allowed to do so wearing pants; they had to wear their traditional dhoti. Up until the late 1950’s no official name was given to this group. It was then decided that they will be identified as the Sister’s Road Sumatie Sangha Sabha. This name was carried into the 1960’s when in 1966 new blood was at the helm. The temple was then called the Sister’s Road Hindu Temple.
Members at the forefront included people like:- Pooran Ram, Samraj Maraj, Bready, Rohan, Ramchand, Rampersad, Moon, Kenny, Beta, Mohan, Narine, Vernon, Ramjit, the Balgobin and the Bridgelal family, Chandra, Omah, Sumatie, just to name a few. This group was very vibrant and they still received the support from the elders in the year 1966 a Hindi class was established in the temple with an enrollment of 100 plus.It was the year 1970 that it was seen fit to construct a larger, stronger structure. It is very note worthy that the architectural ground work was done on the railings of the bridge before Isaac Jct. when the boys were liming. This structure was completed by 1974 and the name of the temple was then Triveni. This name came about because it was the meeting place of three villages, Sister’s Road, St.Julien and Dyers Village. In India where the Ganga, Jamuna and Saraswati all meet, this point is also referred to as Triveni.
This group went to great heights being actively involved in Chowtal, Ramayan, Hindi classes, Dance, Drama and Triveni was involved in the best village for 3 years. Gratitude must be given to Mano Harrilal for teaching music so we have no shortage of musicians today. The need for a larger structure was seen in the late 1980’s when work started on giving the mandir an architectural upgrade. This was completed in 1992. The new facility accommodated larger audiences, provided changing room comforts, larger dining area, and a special area for classes. Activities continued in a vibrant manner in the mandir with music, dance, Hindi, and bhajan being the major ones.
The mandir also continued to participate actively in ramayan satsanghs and bhajan malas’ throughout the country. The bhajan group was always in great demand because of their versatility, finesse and unquestionable talent. In the year 2001, the desire for a bigger structure was had and this saw construction beginning in April 2001. This reconstruction began initially with the plan of a temple front to be added to the existing structure. However, during its construction, it was recognized that rebuilding the entire structure was the best option. This entire process took until November 2003. Unfortunately, the mastermind behind the entire venture was unable to witness the official opening due to his untimely passing in September 2003.
Shree Rampersad Ramrattan Ramoon Singh, an individual who touched the lives of many, young and old, a teacher, father, brother and friend to many, was unable to see his dream fully materialize. The opening of the rebuilt mandir started in October 2003 where pujas were conducted on 10 consecutive days to perform the installation ceremony for the murtis. This was followed a ramayan yagna that commenced on November 16th 2003. Following the opening of the mandir, it has been in great demand for weddings, satsanghs, pujas and just casual visits.
Triveni mandir has continued to achieve great things continuing a legacy and the dream of Shree Rampersad Ramrattan Ramoon Singh, continuously guided by the motto “Dharma Rakshite Rakshitaha”, Dharma Protects Those Who Protect Dharma.