Puja tray/taali to hold materials being used.
2 Small containers for water.
2 spoons for water (one for purification and 1 for offering)
3 sticks of incense
Small katora/bowl for flowers
3 scented flowers
1 ghee lamp
Box of matches for lighting incense & lamp.
By the circumambulation of Srimati Tulasi Devi all the sins that one may have committed are destroyed at every step, even the sin of killing a brahmana..
Step 1: Purification of Self
Person who is performing the aarti should take a drop of water and rinse their right hand then sip water 3 times reciting the mantras. Then rinse their hand again.
Sri Tulasi Pranama
Om Keshavaya swaha
Om Narayanaya swaha
Om Madhavaya swaha
Step 2: Purification of Puja Material
Ring the bell while chanting the Sri Tulasi pranama 3 times while bowing down to Tulasi devi.
Sri Tulasi Pradakshina Mantra
yani kani ca papani
tani tani pranasyanti
pradakshinah pade pade
- Purify the bell, the incense sticks and hands by placing 1 drop of water on each and then light the incense offering it in a clockwise circular motion 7 times around the entire body of Tulasi devi, then offer it to those assembled.
- Place in incense holder.
- Place a drop of water to purify the ghee lamp then light it.
- Offer the ghee lamp in a clockwise circular motion 4 times to the base of Tulasi devi (feet) 2 times to center (waist) 3 times to the top (face) and 7 times all around her body.
- Offer ghee lamp 3 times to the those assembled and pass it around for everyone to take blessings.
- Purify the flowers and your hand by placing 1 drop of water on both then offer the katora with the flowers in a clockwise circular motion 7 times around the entire body of Tulasi devi. Take 2 of the flowers and place it at the root of Tulasi devi and offer the last flower to those assembled.
- Pass the flower around to those assembled to take blessings by smelling the flower.
- By this time the aarti song should be completed. Chant the pradakshina mantra and everyone should walk in clockwise circles around Tulasi devi (women alone first or men alone first depending on which gender is performing the aarti).
- Anyone who didn’t perform the aarti and wishing to offer should purify their hands with a drop of water and then offer 3 drops of water to the base of Tulasi devi.
- Finally recite the Tulasi pranam mantra 3 times while ringing the bell and everyone should pay obeisances (bow down) to Tulasi devi.
namo namah tulasi krishna-preyasi namo namah
radha-krishna-seva pabo ei abilashi
ye tomara sarana loy, tara vancha purna hoy
kripa kori’ koro tare vrindavana-vasi
mora ei abhilasha, vilasa kunje dio vasa
nayana heribo sada yugala-rupa-rasi
ei nivedana dhara, sakhira anugata koro
seva-adhikara diye koro nija dasi
dina krishna-dase koy, ei yena mora hoy
sri-radha-govinda-preme sada yena bhasi
O Tulasi, beloved of Krishna, I bow before you again and again. My desire is to obtain the service of Sri Sri Radha and Krishna.
Whoever takes shelter of you has his wishes fulfilled. Bestowing your mercy on him, you make him a resident of Vrindavana.
My desire is that you will also give me a residence in the pleasure groves of Sri Vrindavana-dhama. Thus within my vision I will always behold the beautiful pastimes of Radha and Krishna.
I beg you to make me a follower of the cowherd damsels of Vraja. Please give me the privilege of devotional service and make me your own maidservant.
This very fallen and lowly servant of Krsna prays, “May I always swim in the love of Sri Radha and Govinda